The following protective equipment should be worn when using sulfuric acid: It’s also a good idea to have access to an eye-flush station if using sulfuric acid at your workplace. 586 Argus Road It is important to act immediately if a worker gets sulfuric acid on his or her skin. If you are a returning user, please enter your email address and click the box marked ''Check if previously registered''. Seek medical attention immediately. As a safety precaution, it is recommended that a water line with hose and fog nozzle should be located where it can be used to extinguish fires in the sulphur storage and melting areas. 3. Response Recommendations 1. Check your junk folder, include, DVD and Streaming Video Training Curricula, eLearning Courses, DVDs, USBs and Handbooks, Informative training points and bonus material for refresher or training talks, Video-enriched training organized by learning objectives that facilitates discussion. We sent a four-digit code to the email address you provided. Strong inorganic mists containing sulfuric acid are carcinogenic to humans. Produced primarily in Asia and North America, sulfuric acid is used in the production of: Concentrated sulfuric acid is extremely corrosive and can cause serious burns when not handled properly. If ingested, this chemical may cause internal burns, irreversible organ damage, and possibly … It covers the properties and hazards, the importance of wearing the right personal protective equipment, ways to prevent incidents, steps to take if there is an emergency, and procedures for handling, storing, and unloading sulfuric acid. Evaluate vital signs including pulse and respiratory rate, and note any trauma. Carbon dioxide fire extinguishers can also be employed in fighting sulphur fires. Sulfuric acid is used for a wide range of purposes both industrially and domestically. Toll free: 1.866.919.7922. Historically known as oil of vitriol, sulfuric acid began to be produced on a large scale in the 18th century. Eye Contact – If sulfuric acid gets into your eyes, immediately flush the eye(s) with water for at least 30 minutes. Full sulfuric acid safety includes personal precautions, facilities equipped to handle it, and appropriate monitoring to keep the work environment safe. Severe exposure can result in death. Oakville, ON L6J 3J3 “forklift safety”). This site requires Javascript to be enabled for full functionality. In laboratory or industrial settings, it’s important to use proper PPE when handling sulfuric acid. Suite 300 DSS Sustainable Solutions cares about your privacy. © Copyright 2019 VelocityEHS. May harm the respiratory system. This chemical is unique because it not only causes chemical burns, but also secondary thermal burns as a result of dehydration. 500 Studio Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23452 | Tel: 877-262-7825 / 757-498-9014 | Fax: 757-498-3657 Carcinogenicity: Not known to cause cancer. Sulfuric acid (H 2 S0 4) is a corrosive substance, destructive to the skin, eyes, teeth, and lungs. The level of exposure depends on dose, duration, and type of work being done. Please allow two business days for fulfillment from the time your order is processed. Your personal information (name, email, phone number and other contact data) will be stored in chosen customer systems primarily hosted in the European Union. VelocityEHS®, MSDSonline® and Humantech® are proprietary trademarks of VelocityEHS. Previews are for evaluation only and may not be used for training. Suite 1750 Consistent exposure to sulfuric acid aerosols, even at low concentrations, can cause a person’s teeth to erode. Sulfuric Acid: Safe Handling will show your employees how to work safely around sulfuric acid. Neutralize sulfuric acid spills with a baking soda solution, and then rinse the area with water. Concentrated sulfuric acid is extremely corrosive and can cause serious burns when not handled properly. Thank you for previewing our training programs. Toll free: 1.888.362.2007, VelocityEHS | Humantech Or choose SKIP to access one module of the course. Product containers should be regularly examined by professional MSDS experts for signs of damage or leaks. To learn more, please visit, Didn't receive your code? This dangerous chemical is capable of corroding skin, paper, metals, and even stone in some cases. Inhalation – If you inhale sulfuric acid aerosols, seek fresh air and medical attention immediately. Sulfuric acid should not be stored indoors in large quantities, to prevent the possible accumulation of vapors. At home, you are most likely to encounter concentrated amounts of sulfuric acid when using an acidic drain cleaner. 1161 Oak Valley Dr. [email protected] Unlimited SDS Searches, 5 FREE Downloads, No Credit Card, VelocityEHS Offers HazCom & Chemical Safety Support for Emergency Responders, Businesses and Others Affected by Hurricane Delta, COSHH: A Key Framework for Hazardous Chemical Risk Assessment, VelocityEHS Streamlines COSHH Risk Assessments for Hazardous Chemicals. Added features and benefits of USB training include: Customize training and empower employees with the DuPont™ eLearning Suite, Copyright 2020 Coastal Training Technologies. EH&S Blog Chemical Spotlight Sulfuric Acid Safety Tips – Sulfuric Acid MSDS Information, 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza Rinse mouth with large amounts of water. Chicago, IL 60654 Do not induce vomiting. DO NOT induce vomiting or attempt to neutralize! Seek medical attention immediately. For new users, please complete the entire form below. Sulfuric acid or products that contain concentrated sulfuric acid should be stored in a cool, dry area away from direct sunlight and heat sources. As you may know, sulfuric acid is multi-faceted and used more than any other mineral acid. Another important consideration when handling this dangerous chemical is that it can react violently if it comes into contact with water. Skin Contact – If sulfuric acid comes into contact with your skin, immediately flush the affected area gently with lukewarm water for at least 30 uninterrupted minutes. Sulfuric acid is a clear, colorless and odorless liquid. Resourceful web links to organizations such as OSHA, FEMA, NSC and the CDC, where viewers can download and print information on regulatory standards. But, when not handled properly, this reactive substance can mean trouble for your employees. Ingestion – If you ingest sulfuric acid, rinse your mouth immediately with water. Those who work around sulfuric acid should not wear contact lenses. Here is some important information about sulfuric acid safety so you can be prepared when using this chemical, whether in the workplace or around the home. Ensure a safety shower and an eyewash station are installed in battery-charging areas. To view a full preview, please enter the validation code provided by your account manager. Please take a moment to provide us your feedback so we can better understand your learning and development needs. Please use quotation marks with your keyword to narrow your results (ex. If ingested, this chemical may cause internal burns, irreversible organ damage, and possibly death. Sulfuric Acid: Safe Handling will show your employees how to work safely around sulfuric acid. Exposure to sulfuric acid can occur as skin/bodily contact, ingestion, or inhalation of vapors. 4. If sulfuric acid makes direct contact with the eyes, it can cause permanent blindness. It is used to make products that enhance the quality of our lives. Sulfuric acid just might be a bigger deal than you realize. If sulfuric acid makes direct contact with the eyes, it can cause permanent blindness. Ann Arbor, MI 48108 Toll free: 1.800.807.0783, Canada Things like paint, petroleum, pharmaceuticals, textiles, and even paper. Workers may be harmed from exposure to sulfuric acid. Whether you’re cleaning your drains at home or working with any concentration of this chemical at work, proper sulfuric acid safety is extremely important. Added features and benefits of DVD training include: To learn more about our interactive online courseware, visit our DuPont™ eLearning Suite homepage or schedule a free online demonstration. We value your input! This chemical is unique because it not only causes chemical burns, but also secondary thermal burns as a result of dehydration. Continually rinse your mouth with water and seek medical attention as soon as possible.